That's life in Singapore and other spots that i might appear in.

Saturday, June 10, 2006

What a wedding dinner does to me?

It's almost 1 am in the morning on a sunday morning. 2 events were deep on my mind despite just finishing half a bottle of Drappier (this one was nothing like a true champagne, no bubbles, not at all easy to drink, not chilled enough) to forget what an ordeal it is to once again attend a Chinese wedding dinner.

It was my God-brother's wedding day and as usual, there's the church ceremony and the wedding dinner. I opt for the latter which I shouldn't have. Sigh! Got to the restaurant at about 8pm, got to our designated table 6 with my family. Had to greet familiar faces i swear i met somewhere before, 3 aunties from my past and apparently, my mum was most at ease. Sis, Dad and me were bored to death while waiting for the 7 or 8 course chinese dinner to start. Thank God for my Xda Atom! I attempted to pass time playing bubble breaker on it. My only other alternative is to stare at the 3 aunties sitting in front of me. Oh my god! It is a social disaster!

Dinner started! Aunties and their family appeared to be really enthused about every dish that appeared on the Lazy Susan and went all out for it despite understanding that sharing of the dish among 10 people in a wedding dinner was more acceptable. "Oh nevermind, they are the old generation, i comforted myself! When there is abundance of food, feed the family, ignore the other people that might be sharing the table." Throughout, it was all about the food, no conversation, no nothing. It was a serious mental torture for the usually very sociable me!

The usual sheebang with Singaporean wedding - projecting of the couple ROM photos and most expensive wedding photo-shot. It is very interesting how my god-brother, a DJ in a club will put himself through a very taiwanese photo shot of 25 or more, very scripted poses developed by the wedding studios in Singapore. Once i was hanging out in KM8 (a very happening beach bar) in Sentosa, 5 couples were posing for their wedding photos, i swear all of the poses were very much the same thing. How can any couple pay $2.5K to look like every other married couple when love is a very special relationship between 2 people. Why? Why? Why?

Yes, half a bottle of bad champagne and having it all penned down make me feel a great deal better already. :->

Maybe i should drink half a bottle of champagne before I attend another one of these or just pass on an Ang Pao and stop torturing myself anymore.

Cest La Vie !

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home